April 9, 2020 Member Meeting 

Zoom 

In attendance:

Debbie Smith

Eric Smith

Kyle Belanger

Megan Worden

Lily Sun

Alicia Smith

Bill Schlatter

Jennifer Sherman

1. Election results

  • Kyle Belanger changed from Event Coordinator to Secretary
  • Event Coordinator position is unfilled
    • Duties are delegated to the President until it is filled
  • No change to other positions

2. JETAA pages (public event sharing)

  • Potentially open a second FB page that’s open to the public
    • Could be just job fair related, or general
      • Leaning toward just a job fair page

3. Online event ideas

  • Watch-party
    • 4/28 Tuesday, 7pm
  • Game night
    • Online pictionary – via other apps or screen sharing MS paint
    • Online risk – free on Steam
    • Card against humanity
    • Scattegories
    • D&D one-shot – (Kyle is unsure if he can do it. Depends on when)
    • http://www.puzzledpint.com/
      • 4/24

4. Mascot Name

  • Send a request to the membership
    • Board will vote on the name

5. Skill workshop

  • Source among our members

March 29, 2020 Board Meeting

Great Lakes JETAA Annual Member Meeting 
3/29/2020 1PM
Google Hangouts 

  1. Open Floor (planning with COVID-19 situation) 
    1. Will get list of returnees in the next month or two
      1. Prepare an email to reach out to the returnees
    2. Potentially more online web meetups
      1. Dispersed among other chapters
      2. Be sure to have enough notice for the announcement
      3. Reach out to either Adam, or see if Bill can use his work account on Zoom
      4. Poke the West Coast chapters to see if they are willing to host to better accommodate JETs in that area
    3. Ask Rhea about the Q&A
      1. Look into offering an online version with Zoom/Go-to-Meeting
      2. Consider a livestream
    4. Hooray!
  2. Streamlining budget practices 
    1. Help Bill come up with a system to keep track of/organize receipts
      1. Submit receipts in the designated folder in the drive with appropriate, consistent, easy to search titles
  3. Newsletter?
    1. If we send one this month, it will be minimal

Feb 8, 2020 Annual Member Meeting

February 8, 2020 JETAA Great Lakes Annual Meeting

Attendees:

Megan Worden

Lily Sun

Jennifer Sherman

Kyle Belanger

Debbie Kim

Eric Smith

Bill Schlatter

  1. Newsletter and Yearly Event Summary
  • James is in charge of February Newsletter but Megan and Kyle will split responsibilities for this edition; Kyle should write short event summaries and Megan will draft the rest including a note about delay in delivery; Feb. 17 target for delivery
  1. Job Fair  report
  2. Event summary
  • Blurbs are acceptable on events for newsletter; more detail needed for Bill’s budgeting purposes
  1. Job Fair Recap
  • During discussion, Megan and Bill agreed to explore online banking and other issues related to the finances
  • Debbie sent in press release to Japan News Club for the March edition
  1. What went well
  • Liked size of venue
  • Better diversity of candidates – Megan suggests we advertise earlier in the process
  • Grant helped legitimacy and resharing among other community groups
  • Coat rack was good
  • A lot of networking going on – feedback from candidates
  • Free is good for candidates
  1. Ideas for next year
  • Jennifer suggests to promote more networking  – Megan agrees that this could be a good component
  • Professional development session beforehand
  • JET and JETAA pamphlets and table to promote each group/program
  • Maybe get food and coffee for next year?
  • Add an “Other” category to the education section in the Google Form
  • Make it more clear in advertising that 1) Parking is free; and, 2) Companies are hiring locally
  • Be more vigilant about walk-ins to better screen parents, solicitors, and others not seeking employment
  • Delegate positions beforehand so Megan isn’t overloaded with requests from volunteers
  • Photo/video release
  • Debbie asked if we can use GIA money for the event to spend on promotional items; Megan suggests it could be classified as “marketing” for the event; Bill will ask Matt or read the regulations for an answer
  • Invite more educational institutions like grad programs
  • Eric asked what the process is for inviting companies and Megan responded that it isn’t clear; set up a process for invitations and recruiting companies for next year
  • Megan asked Lily to get Faye switched over to the Google Drive so files and information is all in one spot; Bill suggested the new job fair email address should forward to several officers
  • Megan asked Kasia if she could co-sponsor the event and she was concerned whether it would be a conflict of interest; Eric suggested that we offer to hire her services to be an administrator and reiterate that this is an issue of the event growing beyond our capabilities, not a need for a cosponsor
  • Bill suggested that Robert use his contacts at Battle Creek Unlimited to drum up interest from western Michigan
  • Should JETRO be solicited to join the event?
  • Need to do a better job of promoting which companies will be there
  • Bill suggested that we add a job fair page on our website and update the list there
  • Debbie suggested that someone be in charge of promoting the event to other Facebook groups, Meetups, at other events, etc.; Megan said that Kasia could might be able to help with the Facebook side of it
  1. Elections
  • Some talk of burn-out, need for reach-out to members joining events here and there, recruiting for future officers; recognition of momentum and accomplishments and the move from small to mid-size chapter; agreement around the table that even if officers don’t run again, volunteering and involvement will continue; need the chapter not to feel exclusive to only officers
  1. Who is running
  • Kyle and Jimmy plan to run for each other’s positions (Event Coordinator and Secretary, respectively)
  • Bill said that the last he heard, Alicia was planning to run for the same position (MI VP)
  • Bill will run again (Treasurer)
  • Jennifer will run again (OH VP)
  • Lily is undecided if she will run again (Webmaster)
  • Megan will run again (President)
  • Bylaws changes approved late last year are also up for final member approval
  1. Timeline
  • March/April timeline; March 14 announcement of elections and position; platforms due by March 29 and should be sent to Debbie; March 30 – April 5 is the election week online
  • Jamie and Lauren might be elections coordinators again; Debbie volunteered to help testing
  1. Swag
  • Lily will purchase the swag
  • Discussion about Professional Slack account: $5/month per seat; we need to clarify with Slack that we are not an educational organization, so even the 85% discount is not appropriate for us; it needs to be free according to their rules
  • All of the below will leave us with about $500 Basic GIA
  • Debbie suggested that we try to compensate people travelling to meetings; Kyle suggested that we can personally pay into a fund to reimburse 
  1. Banner
  • Vertical pop-up banner is easiest to store; one or two
  1. Business cards
  • Put names and positions on them – hold off on business cards until after elections
  1. Vinyl stickers
  • With our logo
  1. High-end swag
  • USB drives and keychains
  1. Mascot for buttons / enamel pins
  • $35 for Teri Galvez to design
  1. Notepads and nice pens
  2. Events for the upcoming year (moved by unanimous consent to the shinnenkai)
    1. By season

Other items


Dec 8, 2019 Member Meeting

In Attendance:

  1. Meg Worden
  2. Lily Sun
  3. Jennifer Sherman
  4. Bill Schlatter
  5. Alicia Smith
  6. James Wilson
  7. Kyle Belanger
  • Reviewed the Zoo Lights and Bonenkai events
    • Job Fair
      • Discussed Flyer
        • Currently being worked on
        • Will ideally be update by the end of the week
      • Will send out invitations to universities soon
        • James and Kyle will look into Engineering departments in Universities in Michigan and Ohio
      • Still waiting to hear back from Kate to get more information to go forward with finances
        • Haven’t heard back from her since the 19th of November
        • Sent her an email outlining the importance of her response
    • Newsletter
      • Need information about job fair
      • Next month is the yearly write up reviewing past events
        • James and Meg will do the write up
      • Kyle will write blurbs about prospective events
      • Need to decide who will be helping with newsletter
        • Meg will try to run it for the month of January

    Oct 20, 2019 Member Meeting

    GLJETAA Online Membership Meeting 

    10/20/19 6:30PM-8:30PM

    Google Hangouts

    Attendance: 

    Meg Worden

    Jennifer Sherman

    Alicia Smith

    Bill Schlatter

    Lily Sun

    Kyle Belanger

    Jimmy Wilson

    Agenda:

    1. Job Fair Updates
    2. Fall Events
    3. Swag
    4. NatCon Notes
    5. Gift/card Exchange (postcards?)
    6. Outline/Reestablish Roles (Secretary & EC)
    1. Job Fair Updates
      1. Contract Received (on 10/16)
        1. Payment
          • $1000 nonrefundable deposit
          • Remaining deposit due 48 hours before event
        2. Trademark must be posted on flyers, video, and other materials
          • Confirmation required 60 days prior to event
            1. Send in draft of promotional materials (unfinished) and say trademark positioning won’t change
        3. Audio/Visual Equipment Quoted
          • $80-100
          • Podium and basic items only
        4. WiFi – Too Expensive, Won’t be provided
        5. Insurance Coverages
          • Comprehensive General Liability, Automotive – 1 day
          • Confirm on whether above coverages are necessary
            1. No one is working…
        6. Details to be Confirmed (4)
          • Trademark Usage on Advertising
          • Confirm AV Amount
          • Confirm Insurance Coverage Necessity
          • Ask for update (correction) of event name 🡪 Great Lakes JETAA Job Fair
      2. Items to Confirm
        1. Timing
          • 10 AM – 1 PM (2018)
            1. GLJETTA Members Times – 9 AM – 2 PM
          • Faye will check in with partners on whether same timing works
      3. Keynote Speaker – Anne Hooghart

    1. Fall/Winter Events
      1. Erebus
        1. November 2nd @ 7:30 PM
      2. Board Game Day
        1. Date tentatively set for November 10th 
        2. Location Unset – Decision left up to Host
          • Kyle will host
        3. Finalized details and 🡪 Alicia by 10/27
      3. Zoo Lights
        1. December 7th 
        2. Royal Oak & Toledo
        3. OH Group – Bonenkai after Zoo lights
          • Shinnenkai in MI in January (Zero Bonenkai for MI peeps… ☹)
      4. Movie Viewing – OH
        1. Spirited Away
        2. 10/27
        3. Jennifer will finalize details and post
      5. New Idea – 2020 Detroit Marathon Entry as JETAA Team
        1. 4-5 people
        2. Multiple leg lengths – Long & Short
    1. Swag
      1. Water Bottles = Huge Hit!
        1. Definitely do again
      2. New Ideas:
        1. Vinyl Stickers of Logo
        2. Travel Mugs
      3. Next Swag Order – Ship directly to OH
    1. NatCon Notes
      1. Meg’s Impressions & Updates
        1. More detailed agenda coming in Dec. or Jan.
        2. Grant for Grassroots Meeting in MN (Between JETAA & other organizations)
          • Possibly apply for similar grant for meeting in MI/OH
            1. Include JBSD, Japan America Societies, etc.
          • Currently inter-organizational communication is lacking
        3. Event Ideas
          • Olympics Watch Party
          • ArtPrize in Grand Rapids
          • Sdf
        4. Presentation on Expanding the Organization Size
          • Bringing in new members and active people
          • Simplified version of Bylaws may be less deterring to new GLJETAA members
        5. Change of Funds Usage Topic
          • If EOY leftover funds are more than $100, required to submit Change of Usage adjustment form to CLAIR to return funds for other chapters
          • However, GLJETAA will wait until Job Fair is completed to see the final financial situation and rediscuss
        6. Host Japanese Culture Classes at Local Libraries
          • Administrations in the region are slowly cutting back on Japanese funding
          • Research situation and opportunities/lack there of
            1. Many other groups hosting/conducting classes
            2. Try to support those groups or fill in gaps
        7. Add Google Calendar to Monica Yuki
          • Add GLJETTA events and activities to USJETAA page
        8. Neighboring Chapter Meetings
          • GLJETAA + JETAA Chicago
          • Possibly have meeting in NWI – near IN Dunes
          • Around August
          • Meeting to discuss details in February
          • Additional JETAA Chapters
            1. JETAA Pittsburgh could be easier for OH members
            2. JETAA Ontario (Windsor peeps)
        9. JETAA Chapter Mascots
          • Godaiko-kun
            1. Deer with Drum & Tire
            2. SUUUPER CUTE
            3. Maybe get stickers!!
      2. Lilly’s Notes
        1. Craft Days
          • Possibly organize craft events
          • Origami & other crafts!
        2. Utilize Social Media
          • Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
            1. Twitter – Hurdle is a little too high at the moment
            2. Insta & Facebook can be linked, so starting with Insta & FB will be first step in
    1. Gift/card Exchange (postcards?)
      1. Get Addresses from interested parties
        • Send out email to GLJETAA email list
        • Post to FB to ensure that everyone is aware
    2. Outline/Reestablish Roles (Secretary & EC)
      1. Officially Elected Kyle as Interim EC
        1. Set up Slack account & EC email for Kyle 
      2. Officially Induct Jimmy as Secretary
        1. Updated email log in information for Secretary
      3. Reviewed GLJETAA Bylaws/Position Descriptions
        1. President
        2. VP – MI
        3. VP – OH
        4. Secretary
        5. Treasurer
        6. Event Coordinator
        7. Webmaster
      4. Changes in Duties
        1. Prez 
          • To be Project Coordinator for 2020 Job Fair instead of EC due to Kyle’s new arrival. Rediscuss redistribution of this duty later in 2020 after January.
        2. MI VP
          • VP’s duties are slightly underwhelming due to membership records being digital
          • Create Newsletter Committee & VP becomes Committee Chair
            1. With Alicia’s upcoming ball of joy, VP won’t be able to shoulder the majority of responsibilities for Newsletter in upcoming months
          • Newsletter Posting Time targeted for 24th/25th of previous month
            1. Acquiring materials & collecting data needs to be completed by mid-month
            2. Monthly meetings would need to happen in 1st or 2nd week of month every month
              1. Adjustments can happen as needed
        3. OH VP 
          • Will continue as point for Event Coordinating in OH
            1. GLJETAA EC will manage MI events and support OH VP with OH events
          • Can nominate representatives to support in OH
        4. Secretary
          • Newsletter Committee Duties
            1. Write blurb on recent activities and events
            2. Write end of year wrap up
          • Records of Past Events
            1. Submission required in February of last year’s activities
          • Event Participants Numbers should be logged each time (names if possible)
    1. Treasurer
      • No Updates
    2. Event Coordinator
      • Procuring events, creating events, posting events, tracking events
      • Possibly add on Social Media account activity management once familiar with above duties.

    Sept 15, 2019 Member Meeting

    GLJETAA Meeting Minutes 9-15-19

    Attendance:

    Meg Worden

    Alicia Smith

    Bill Schlatter

    Jennifer Sherman

    Lily Sun

    Eric Smith

    1. Job Fair 
      1. Table charge
        1. Tables will be $30 per for venue
        2. We can charge companies $30 to cover the cost of each table
      2. Drafts
        1. Kate will send the draft contract
        2. Meg will tell her that we are a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization and share our EIN #
        3. Meg will check on any additional fees for set-up
      3. Venue discussion 
        1. $1,500 for whole day
          1. Kate at Suburban said the price could be lower if we only reserve the Silver, Bronze, and Gold sections in the Platinum Ballroom
          2. Kate suggested that these three sections (out of the five available) could accommodate 300 people
          3. This price should be about $200 less than last year
          4. Bill asked for confirmation of any set-up fees; Meg will check
        2. Meg proposes to request the $1,500 venue cost from the JBSD grant; see Point 2: JBSD Grant, below
        3. Tables are $30/ea (comes with tablecloth) 
        4. Microphone rental is $100
        5. Water station free
          1. Coffee/cookies are an upcharge, but Meg suggests we could buy from outside and bring it in if necessary to save on costs
        6. Digital Signage provided within the base price
        7. Logistics
          1. Guests should enter from the east entrance nearest to the Platinum Ballroom
          2. Sign-in should be in between the two doors for the Silver and Bronze sections
          3. Coat rack should be located at the southeast corner near the Platinum Ballroom
      4. Budgeting
        1. We have money budgeted for this event; Bill suggested that depending on other grant sources, we can re-budget this to advertising, table costs, or other expenses as needed
        2. We will need about 20-25 tables if last year is any guide
        3. Faye is asking for companies to sponsor again this year; last year’s sponsors were Hirotec, Fifth-Third, Fanuc, and Inoac
      5. Meg moved to approve selection of Suburban, pending draft contract and Lily seconded; motion passed
    2. JBSD Grant
      1. Meg will work with Debbie on the JBSD Grant
      2. It is a Google Form, so Meg will share draft questions and answers on Slack for officer review
      3. The group agreed that the job fair would fit under “Community Enhancement” for the JBSD’s categorization
      4. Meg will invite engineering students as was requested by companies
      5. Meg moved to ask the JBSD for $1,500 and Bill seconded; motion passed
    3. Nat Con (slides) 
      1. Marquee event – Job Fair
        1. Lily questioned whether this is still possible to present on as Monica Yuki may have changed criteria since last year
        2. Meg will check, since this event takes up a majority of our chapter’s effort and is unique in its involvement with the corporate community
      2. Other events
        1. Update on the Geosync
          1. Other chapters have taken this idea and run with it, so our chapter’s presentation could end by opening up the floor to a brief discussion on results
          2. Meg will check with Monica on whether this is acceptable
        2. Pop-up events
          1. We have run several events to get people involved by “seeing what will stick” and it has drawn more people out over the summer
    4. Fall Events check in
      1. Meg will figure out why invites aren’t going out on Facebook events sometimes; testing after the meeting
      2. November 10 – Board Game Meet-up
      3. October 12 – Orchard Event
        1. Spicer’s in Fenton, MI
        2. TBD near Cleveland, OH – Jennifer will scout out a location by the end of the week
      4. December 12 – Detroit Zoo Lights
      5. October 18 – Returnee Reception (tentative date)
    5. Swag – Bottles 
      1. Options
        1. https://www.pens.com/drinkware/20-oz-aluminum-bike-bottle/dkw-11111
        2. https://www.deluxe.com/products/promotional/20oz-aluminum-bike-bottle/28290/
      2. Minimum order is 36 for either option; we can pass these out at the Returnee Reception and at events afterward
      3. Including any shipping costs, the order should cost around $200; Bill confirmed that there should be room in the Basic Grant-in-Aid budget for this expense
      4. Alicia will send the final total in Slack for officer review
    6. Other Items
      1. Professional Slack is still an open question; Bill or Meg will look into this option further as it could facilitate meetings better than Google Hangouts
      2. Alicia will work on updating the GLJETAA LinkedIn page this month
      3. Alicia will create a Job Fair Facebook page by end of October
      4. We need to decide on a meeting date/time for October; Lily will send out a Doodle request to coordinate availability by Sept. 16
      5. Follow-up on interest in officer positions
        1. James now has control of Secretary’s digital assets; currently learning the role
        2. Kyle has shown interest in the Event Coordinator position; Meg working with him on those details

    GLJETAA Membership Meeting Minutes 9/15/2019

    GLJETAA Membership Meeting Minutes 8-18-2019

    GLJETAA Membership Meeting Minutes 7-24-2019

    Great Lakes JETAA Meeting Minutes 6-23-2019

    Great Lakes JETAA Meeting Minutes 2-5-2019

    Great Lakes JETAA Meeting Minutes 1-2-2019

    Great Lakes JETAA Meeting Minutes 10-30-2018

    Great Lakes JETAA Meeting Minutes 8-13-2018